Friday, August 28, 2009

Adam Klein Hall



"For seven years New Orleans was my home. On Saturday, August 27, 2005, I evacuated, thirty six hours before Hurricane Katrina arrived, leaving my apartment, my friends, and my paintings. Three months later I returned to find that my house and artwork were fine but my car was had been submerged under four feet of water. I stayed just long enough to push my smelly refrigerator out the front door, gather what I needed, and leave as fast as I could. I realize that it was smart to leave, but part of me felt like a deserter.

Perhaps this is why I felt compelled to revisit Katrina in my art, re-enacting the catastrophe using memory and imagination. I began experimenting with drawings that were spilled on, burned, or crinkled, trying to incorporate accident into the creative process. My work expanded from flat drawings, to sculptural objects, and eventually grew to room size installations. Working three-dimensionally helped me to portray destruction on a large scale with real objects instead of drawings." - Adam Klein Hall

To see more of his striking work go to his website.

No comments:

Post a Comment